Tuesday, April 24, 2007

a plain shirt, transformed



I bought a few large button down shirts at the Salvation Army last fall. I had just gotten my new sewing machine and I had the idea to take the shirts apart, embellish them. . .just play around with them. I never got to it, like a lot of my projects.


Yesterday, after I couldn't take the heat in the garden any longer (it was 90 degrees in the sun here!)


I came inside and went a bit sewing crazy. I made two raw silk pillowcases. Those are quite elegant, but not interesting enough to post. I also did a bit of crocheting and some sock knitting yesterday. I had one heck of great day off!

The shirt project is great fun. It's not over yet, but I'd like to share my work in progress with you.

I'm going to slit the sides, for the shirt is quite unflattering and probably will hang better with open side seams. It also needs cuffs. I can't decide whether I want to put buttons on it or not. Perhaps I'll put ties on it if I think it needs something to close it with. I ripped a long piece of the same checked fabric for a head wrap: Wearing this shirt with a head wrap made me feel like Lucy Ricardo, and I wish I had these gingham checked espadrilles I saw on line to match the outfit!

1 comment:

Websafe said...

The shirt looks great! I like the big circle on the back, and the 3/4 sleeves with the nice edging. I'm always thinking of doing things like this.

Also, your blog design looks very nice, great colors.