Friday, April 13, 2007

cowboy pillow


I love quilting. Unfortunately, I'm rather sloppy at it if I use a sewing machine. My seams hardly ever match up. I think this is because when I am using a sewing machine, I'm more product oriented than process oriented. I had thought this changed when I bought a Janome sewing machine this past summer. It's very quiet, for one thing. I can also set it to sew very slowly, but still, it doesn't seem to change a thing. I'm still a sloppy patchwork quilter. Same goes for any machine sewing. When I'm sewing by hand, I'm as precise as can be, but I just have to use a sewing machine sometimes! And y'know what? I think being okay with not doing something perfectly is a good thing for me.

I've been practicing this in my knitting lately. I'm working on a big cable knit sweater and I made a big mistake in the cabling the other night. It was about 20 rows back. In the past I would have ripped it out without a second thought. This time, I looked at it for a long time and decided to leave it. It's right at the arm hole and won't be that noticeable. And it'll be a test for me to not point it out to people.

By the way, this "cowboy pillow" is so totally unlike anything I would usually make. I think it was inspired by my friend Lisa, whose blog Sugarjet is really funny to read and fun to look at!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was surfing the net today and found your blog. It's interesting and fun to read. I love your cowboy pillow. I think it is great!

I have a site where I provide craft ideas for pillows and pillow forms. I thought it might be mutually beneficial if we swapped blogroll links.

Please take a look at my site and see if it's something you might be interested in. http://pillowforminfo.com If you are at all interested please shoot me an email and let me know the text you want me to use in your link. I'll get it up right away and then send you the text for my link.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jackie