Sunday, April 15, 2007

when sloppy pays off


Here's some worsted weight yarn I dyed a few weeks ago. The skeins started out as light blues, grays and one pink. The colors in the pic are much brighter than in real life. I ought to learn how to use my digital camera!

I just adore hand dyed wools. I started out many years ago using natural dyes. They produce fantastic subtle colors. I adore the lichens; green stuff that dyes up weird pinks and purples. It's like magic (or alchemy).

Then I went on to using acid dyes; very precise.

And lastly, I went to using Country Colors, not quite Rit, but close. They're not colorfast, for one thing, so I can't spend a day at the beach in a hand dyed turtleneck sweater. This is not a joke. I live in Maine.

Anyway, I just wanted to prove that being sloppy sometimes pays off. At least in my opinion.

No comments: