Sunday, May 20, 2007

beaded bags. . .my latest obsession

I haven't posted any, but I've been enjoying making beaded necklaces for the last few months. When I discovered that there was such a thing as beaded knitting, I just had to give it a try! Yes, I'm late to the game. I have come to find out it was quite last year's rage. Here's my first bag. It's unfinished. I haven't sewn it up yet, and I haven't embellished it. I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it to finish it off. Most of the examples I've seen of these types of little bags are just too glitzy for my taste.

Even though I hadn't finished the first bag, I went on to making my second bag. This one has a whole lot of curvature in it. Unlike the one above, I'm not making it in one piece. I made it up as I went along, which is something I rarely do when I knit, so it was particularly fun. HOWEVER, I learned a big lesson (which I'm sure to REPEAT): stop knitting when you're tired and there isn't enough light when you're using 0000 needles. I made a big mistake and tried to fix it and wound up ripping out the entire thing 'cause I couldn't see the stitches. Luckily, it wasn't a whole sweater. Well, if it was, the whole incident wouldn't have happened. Stay tuned for the end of these projects. I'm kinda getting into the glitz thing. Hmmm. Perhaps I should be worrying about myself. Compare sashiko embroidery to beaded Victoriana. I do see the connection: obsession with tiny stitches.

1 comment:

Websafe said...

I love tiny stitches, tiny beading and SOME Victoriana, if it is done with taste. Your bags are nice and delicate.