Wednesday, June 20, 2007

my first bead weaving

First off, I gotta say that anyone who weaves size 11 or smaller beads is crazy. Since I'm doing it too, now, I'm not pointing any fingers. Here are my first three off loom woven beads, done in square stitch:


I wanted to dispense with a pattern, since it was hard enough to learn and see what I was doing. But I rather like the little squares. My idea was to make a necklace that had little flags on it, inspired by the miniature Tibetan prayer flags I have hanging on my kitchen door. Obviously, these are not the "right colors", for they're not primary. I have become infatuated with purples and greys.

I have actually loathed purple most of my life. I hated the silly connection between purple and eccentricity and the poem about growing old and wishing one had worn more purple in their life. Purple is just a color! A great color, but one that, unfortunately, carries a lot of baggage.

PS. I just looked at this page and realized: the photo is MUCH larger than real life. The background grid has one inch squares, so that should give you some idea how small everything is!

No comments: